Week 3:

 LESSON REFLECTION


Candidate: Katie Taylor

Lesson Topic: writing

Taught: I taught parts of speech and I focused specifically on conjunctions. Students received a mini lesson on conjunctions and then worked in small group centers to reinforce the topic. 

What went well: I was overall very pleased with my lesson. I think that my students really liked getting to watch a video and color for the first part of my lesson. I think this really got them engaged and hooked into the topic that I was focusing on. I also really was pleased with the centers. The students have only up until this point have done small groups that have been mixed homogeneously. I wanted to do something different. I thought they did an excellent job in centers and rotating in heterogeneous groups. Students were able to work with different people and also do every activity. Students who were more advanced could have a leadership role and students who needed more support had a buddy who was a leader in their group. I think it was very important that my groups were pre-planned for that reason. 

Date: 7/19/22 

What did not go as planned: When explaining group rotation and centers I was nervous because we have yet to try this in camp this summer. I knew some students would be familiar with centers but I wanted to make sure my directions were clear. I think I could have been more explicit and direct with how I gave my instructions of how the centers would occur. I don’t know if my instructions came across in the most direct and easiest way. 

How to change for subsequent lessons: In my next lesson I will make sure to have more explicit instructions when it comes to my lesson and how I want my small groups and centers to occur. I would like for my students to feel comfortable and confident when they get to an activity. I want to make sure that I explain the centers and activities well. I think in the future I will include visual aids and individual instructions for each center as well to help keep the students on track.

Comments

  1. It was a fun lesson! You did a great job! I like having learning centers because you can make different ones according to different abilities. Then you can assign specific centers to specific students. One suggestion would be to have written directions available at each center so students can refer to them or have a sample activity with the answer shown so students can have a visual of what is expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I really thought your centers went well! I loved how engaging they were and how kids had a lot of different types of activities. I loved the flower pot activity...I may need to borrow it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1:

Week 2